It’s my birthday week, and in cooking class, we only had oven space for EITHER Pizza OR Cake…so we went with my favorite food in the world: PIZZA! Adding extra vegetables and a whole wheat crust bumps up the nutrition profile of this quick and easy pizza that is perfect for a busy weeknight.
This pizza starts with a whole wheat base (part AP flour, part WW flour) that adds additional fiber and B-vitamins. Then a layer of nutrient rich sweet potato sauce. It has a slightly sweeter profile than regular pizza sauce, but packs a nutritional punch with vitamin A. It also pairs nicely with the chicken sausage and rustic vegetables on top. Experiment with different veggies and see what tastes best! Broccolini, roasted peppers, mushrooms, the sky is the limit!
We made a simple salad with chopped romaine, tomatoes, cucumber and basil and made Ellie Krieger’s Homemade Ranch Dressing (see Food Network Website for Recipe).
Rustic Vegetable Pizza
- 1 10 in Quick and Easy Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 tsp Cornmeal optional
- 1 Cup Sweet Potato Pizza Sauce see below
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Basil julienned
- 1 Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1/3 Zucchini thinly sliced or julienned
- 1 Tomato Cut into 8 wedges
- 1 Cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 oz Goat Cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Over medium-high heat, cook chicken sausage (make sure you remove casing) for about 5-8 minutes. Remove.
- Line pan with parchment paper and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Spread dough on pan. Bake for 5 minutes then remove.
- Top par-cooked dough with sauce, then half the mozzarella cheese. Add chicken sausage, half the basil, and more cheese. Top with zucchini, tomato, goat cheese and the rest of the fresh basil.
- Continue to bake at 450 for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
Nutrition Information (Per Slice, ⅛ of Pizza): Calories 168, Total Fat 6.6g, Sat. Fat 2.8g, Mono. Fat 2.3g, Poly. Fat 0.3g, Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 313mg, Potassium 115 mg, Carbohydrates 17.6g, Dietary Fiber 2.5g, Sugar 2g, Protein 8.5g, Vitamin A 30% Vitamin C 5%, Calcium 3.6%, Iron 3%
Quick and Easy Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 Package Dry Active Yeast
- 1 Cup Lukewarm Water plus a few more Tbsps
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour white wheat
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsps Olive Oil
- Mix yeast in 1 cup warm water until dissolved. Stir in oil, salt and flour until it forms a dough ball. If dough is too dry, add additional water a tablespoon at a time, until texture is desirable.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a warm kitchen towel, place on top of your stove while the oven is warming up. Let rise for 15 minutes. Then it is ready to use!
- On a floured surface, knead dough for a couple minutes and spread out to desired shape. Top with desired toppings and bake in a hot oven (preheated to at least 450˚F) for about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information Per 10 inch pizza (total servings per recipe, 2): Calories 616, Total Fat 9g, Sat Fat 1g, Mono Fat 5g, Poly Fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 560mg, Potassium 0mg, Carbohydrates 108g, Dietary Fiber 14g, Sugar 3g, Protein 18g, Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 6%
Sweet Potato Pizza Sauce
Recipe by Amanda Hibshman, RDN
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste (usually at least ¼ tsp salt)
- ½ tsp basil, dried
- ¼ tsp oregano, dried
- Rinse sweet potato, prick with a fork about 5 times, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on full power for 5-6 minutes, or until soft.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Remove sweet potato from skin and add flesh to pan, smashing as much as possible. Add can of tomato sauce, salt, basil and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens.
Per Serving (total servings per recipe, 2): Calories 167, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 1g, Mono Fat 5g, Poly Fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 673mg, Potassium 651mg, Carbohydrates 24g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugar 9g, Protein 3g, Vitamin A 198% Vitamin C 19%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%