Roasted Beets, Baked Chicken, Whole Grain Farro and Blue Cheese crumbles meld together with a creamy lemon dressing.
Take note of a couple of things when making this salad:
- This salad tastes the best if you roast the beets and chicken from scratch according to the recipe, but you could also easily swap them out for pre-cooked or already prepared versions and still have an excellent salad.
- I love the quick cooking Farro from Trader Joe’s, which is ready in about 10 minutes. Farro is a whole grain that is quite chewy with a nutty flavor, so it is a perfect fit for this salad.
- Chicken breasts can easily get overcooked. One of my favorite kitchen tools is a meat thermometer, so you can test the internal temperature to ensure it is safe to eat (165 degrees).
Roasted Chicken and Beet Salad
- Arugula (7 oz bag)
- 1 Cup Cooked Farro
- ¼ Cup Bleu Cheese Crumbles
- ½ English Cucumber, Peeled and Sliced
- ½ Cup Grape Tomatoes, Halved
- 4 Roasted Beets, Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 2 Roasted Chicken Breast, Sliced
- Brine (Official Ratio:1 Gal water to 1 C salt, we’ll use about 4 cups and 1-2 tablespoons of salt)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- Honey Lemon Dressing
- 1 Part Dijon Mustard (½ tbsp)
- 2 Parts Lemon Juice (1 tbsp)
- 2 Parts Honey (1 tbsp)
- 4 Parts Mayonnaise (2 tbsp)
- Roast Chicken: Brine chicken: Get a bowl and fill with warm water and a handful of salt. Let chicken sit for a minimum of 15 minutes. This will help bring the chicken to room temperature for even cooking. Brining will help the chicken stay moist. After chicken is done brining, rinse well* and pat dry. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 450. Combine Pepper, Salt, Garlic Powder and Paprika in a bowl. Brush chicken with olive oil on both sides. Rub in spice mixture on both sides. Once oven is pre-heated, place in center rack for 18 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink (or until meat thermometer reads 165). Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes. Allowing the chicken to rest helps seal in the moisture. Serve immediately (for this salad, cut into strips or chunks) or allow to come to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Roast Beets: Peel 4 Beets, cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste on a baking sheet. Roast at 450 degrees F, stirring once or twice, until tender. About 35 minutes (Pro Tip – you can roast the beets along with the chicken.)
- Cook Farro according to package directions. Roast beets and chicken (see below). To make dressing, measure all ingredients in a bowl and combine. Refrigerate until ready to use. Assemble salad ingredients in a large bowl: Arugula, Farro, Beets, Bleu Cheese Crumbles, Tomatoes and Cucumber. Toss with dressing to combine. Top with grilled chicken breast.
Nutrition Information for One Serving: Calories 275 Total Fat 10g, Sat. Fat 3g, Mono. fat 4g, Poly. fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 50g, Sodium 771mg, Potassium 249mg, Total Carbohydrates 23g, Daily Fiber 4g, Sugars 10g, Protein 20g, Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 13%, Calcium 7%, Iron 6%
*I normally do not suggest rinsing poultry, as it can lead to contamination of bacteria in the kitchen. In this instance, I like to rinse the poultry to get rid of the excess sodium. You’ll, of course, be adding more salt and seasonings to it shortly, but it is good to start from near scratch.